SADO Director Among Lawyers Honored at 2014 State Bar of Michigan Annual Banquet
The State Appellate Defender Office congratulates Director Dawn Van Hoek as one of the lawyers receiving the 2014 "Champion of Justice" Award from the State Bar of Michigan. Each year the State Bar presents this award to lawyers who have been members of the State Bar of Michigan for at least 10 years; who have demonstrated integrity and adherence to the highest principles and traditions of the legal profession; who display superior professional competence and extraordinary professional accomplishment that benefits the nation, the state, or the local community in which the lawyer lives. Dawn will receive this award at the State Bar of Michigan awards banquet on September 17, 2014 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Read More
SADO Offers Expertise in Training and Advocacy for Indigent Defendants
With generous grant funding from the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) SADO offers multiple free training opportunities around the State of Michigan for practitioners to stay up to date on the latest case law in an effort to provide the highest quality of representation for indigent defendants. Assistant Defender Jacqueline McCann, principal author of the Defender Plea, Sentencing and Post-Conviction Book, was the trainer for a multi-campus event this spring to educate the defense bar on the Use of COMPAS at Sentencing. Ms. McCann also trained in Petoskey on the Michigan Felony Sentencing Law Update, and in Marquette in an Advanced Felony Sentencing Seminar. At the Marquette training Read more
Manual Designed for Attorneys to Help Incarcerated Clients
The State Appellate Defender Office is pleased to announce the release of their latest manual, intended to aid counsel in navigating the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC) on behalf of their clients who are incarcerated. The principal author of this Guide is Jessica Zimbelman, an Assistant Defender with SADO since 2012. Prior to joining SADO, Jessica worked for the Legislative Corrections Ombudsman, monitoring the Michigan Department of Corrections on behalf of the State Legislature. Read more
Four Dates Scheduled in 2015 for Detroit and Lansing
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of appealing a conviction and how an appeal is different from the trial or plea proceedings, and will inform attendees on the visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate and stay connected with your incarcerated loved ones, and more. Read more
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Toggling Lower and Upper Case Text in MS Word
- Practice Note: New Apprendi Ruling on Fines Has Potential Michigan Application
- DUI Defense: May, 2014 - Can Michigan Ever Derive a Valid Uncertainty Budget for Breath Testing?
- Public Defense Update: Public Defense Update- Citizens Alliance on Prisons and Public Spending (CAPPS) July, 2014
- Reports and Studies: Quantum Theory Predicts Answers in Surveys- July, 2014
- Spotlight On: Mary E. Farrell
- From Other States: July, 2014
- From Our Readers: What to do When the Department of Corrections Points out That Your Client Should be Serving a 25 Year Mandatory Minimum Sentence as a Fourth Habitual Offender? - June, 2014
- New and Interesting in the Brief Bank: July, 2014
- Surveillance News: July, 2014
- Local Success: Elizabeth A. LaCosse
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Failure to Advise of SORA Registration Requirement
- 08.22.2014 Video: Bindovers, Appeals, and...
- 08.08.2014 Video: Smarter Sentencing: An ...
- 08.07.2014 Video: Michigan Felony Sentenc...
- 07.31.2014 Video: Master Class:Preserving...
- 07.22.2014 Video: Prison - Last Week Toni...
- 09.26.2014 CDAM - A is for Attorney Train...
- 10.21.2014 OCBA - Know Your Judge: Circui...
- 11.06.2014 NACDL - 10th Annual White Coll...
- 11.06.2014 CDAM - Advanced Criminal Defen...
- 11.18.2014 OCBA - Expert Witness Cross Ex...