SADO Director Dawn Van Hoek Among Honorees
The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan Metro Detroit celebrates Bill of Rights Day by honoring those in our community who are fighting for civil rights and liberties. “This year we are proud to honor grassroots leaders within the fight to reform Michigan's public defense system. These passionate advocates have worked to reform our state’s broken system for providing attorneys to those that can’t afford them. We will be honoring: John Shea (Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan) Dawn Van Hoek (State Appellate Defenders Office) Marcela Westrate (Campaign for Justice) Peter Cunningham (State Bar of Michigan) Noah Smith (Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan) and Shelli Weisberg (ACLU of Michigan)” The State Appellate Defender Office Read more
The Latest Part of the Defender Series of Books Available for Purchase
We are always developing products to assist the Criminal Defense Community and are pleased to announce that we have developed the Defender Sentencing Guidelines Manual Annotated, a small companion to our Defender Plea, Sentencing, and Post-Conviction Book. The Defender Sentencing Guidelines Manual Annotated is a slim (7” x 8.5”), approximately 60 page (double-sided) soft-bound pamphlet, containing basic law about the Michigan Sentencing Guidelines, all applicable grids, and caselaw (published and relevant unpublished caselaw through July, 2013), organized by variable for quick reference. The Manual is printed and ready to ship! Your cost is only $10. Use our revised subscription form to order today, or contact the Crimin Read More
Next Sessions are January 22 in Lansing and January 23 in Detroit
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of a criminal appeal, visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate with an inmate housed in the MDOC, and will provide a list of basic resources for clients and their families. Read more
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Toggling Lower and Upper Case Text in MS Word
- Practice Note: New Apprendi Ruling on Fines Has Potential Michigan Application
- Public Defense Update: June, 2013
- Reports and Studies: False Memories Study - June, 2013
- Spotlight On: Steven C. Howard - October, 2013
- DUI Defense: October, 2013 - Why Urine Drug Testing Should Never be Admitted Into Evidence in OWI/OUID and other Drug-Related Criminal Cases
- Recent Summaries
- 11.07.2013 Video: How To Conduct A 30-Min...
- 10.17.2013 Video: SADO’s DNA Project Trai...
- 10.11.2013 Video: Criminal Law/Legislativ...
- 10.02.2013 Video: Elizabeth Loftus: The F...
- 09.20.2013 Video: Do’s and Don’ts of Moti...
View All Events