The Michigan Appellate Assigned Counsel System (MAACS) is accepting applications to join the assigned counsel roster. This is a competitive process and MAACS encourages applications from conscientious appellate lawyers with diverse experiences and backgrounds, especially those who are committed to representing indigent clients and contributing to the reform of Michigan’s indigent defense system. Read More
How Metadata from Facebook, Cell Phone Photos, and Cell Towers led to the Exoneration of Derrick Bunkley
Derrick Bunkley was represented on appeal by SADO Assistant Defender Doug Baker. In this article, Doug takes the reader through the arrest, the trial, and the appellate investigation that eventually led to a stipulation by the prosecution to vacate Derrick’s convictions and to dismiss the charges. There are a lot of good lessons here, for both trial and appellate counsel, when confronted with a case where technological data could prove a client’s true whereabouts. Read More
On January 25, 2016, the United States Supreme Court in Montgomery v Louisiana, __ US __; (Docket No. 14-280, issued 1/25/16), ruled the decision in Miller v Alabama, 567 US __; 132 S Ct 2455 (2012) fully retroactive1 to all juvenile mandatory life without parole homicide sentences. In Miller, the Court held the imposition of a mandatory life without parole sentence for a juvenile under the age of 18 on the date of the offense violates the Eight Amendment prohibition on “cruel and unusual punishment.” While the Michigan Supreme Court previously ruled the Miller opinion was not retroactive to Michigan cases which were no longer pending on direct appeal [People v Carp, 298 Mich 472 (2012)], that decision has now been overruled by the Montgomery opinion. Read More
View Past Stories
- DUI Defense: The Impact of Self-Driving Cars on Impaired Driving Defense
- Practice Note: Judge Kozinski Addresses 12 Common Misconceptions of the Law
- Public Defense Update: Citizens Alliance on Prisons and Public Spending (CAPPS)
- Reports and Studies: Computer Model Predicts at Arraignments the Likelihood of Offending
- Spotlight On: Lee A. Somerville, May 2016
- 06.03.2016 CLS/SBM - Criminal Law Sprin...
- 06.03.2016 SBM - Young Lawyers Section:...
- 06.06.2016 UI Law - Darrow Baldus Defen...
- 06.10.2016 SBM - Upper Michigan Legal I...
- 06.18.2016 SBM - Family Matters: Parent...