Two Year Position Available in Wrongful Conviction Unit
State Appellate Defender Office (SADO) Wrongful Conviction Unit, funded by the Department of Justice. SADO attorneys represent 25% of indigent clients in Michigan on direct appeal or other post-conviction proceedings who wish to challenge their guilty pleas, trial convictions, or sentences.During the direct appeal, Michigan Court Rules allow for evidentiary hearings on issues implicating actual innocence, including ineffective assistance of counsel, discovery violations, and newly discovered evidence. Unfortunately, these rules have strict time limits. SADO’s Wrongful Conviction Unit is an attempt to respond to this dynamic.The Wrongful Conviction Unit Special Assistant Defender will immediately review appellate intake to look for clients
Manual Designed for Attorneys to Help Incarcerated Clients
The State Appellate Defender Office is pleased to announce the release of their latest manual, intended to aid counsel in navigating the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC) on behalf of their clients who are incarcerated. The principal author of this Guide is Jessica Zimbelman, an Assistant Defender with SADO since 2012. Prior to joining SADO, Jessica worked for the Legislative Corrections Ombudsman, monitoring the Michigan Department of Corrections on behalf of the State Legislature. Read more
SADO Offers Expertise in Training and Advocacy for Indigent Defendants
With generous grant funding from the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) SADO offers multiple free training opportunities around the State of Michigan for practitioners to stay up to date on the latest case law in an effort to provide the highest quality of representation for indigent defendants. Assistant Defender Jacqueline McCann, principal author of the Defender Plea, Sentencing and Post-Conviction Book, was the trainer for a multi-campus event this spring to educate the defense bar on the Use of COMPAS at Sentencing. Ms. McCann also trained in Petoskey on the Michigan Felony Sentencing Law Update, and in Marquette in an Advanced Felony Sentencing Seminar. At the Marquette training Read more
Four Dates Scheduled in 2015 for Detroit and Lansing
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of appealing a conviction and how an appeal is different from the trial or plea proceedings, and will inform attendees on the visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate and stay connected with your incarcerated loved ones, and more. Read more
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Toggling Lower and Upper Case Text in MS Word
- Practice Note: New Apprendi Ruling on Fines Has Potential Michigan Application
- Public Defense Update: Public Defense Update- Citizens Alliance on Prisons and Public Spending (CAPPS) July, 2014
- DUI Defense: August-September, 2014 - General Motors to Launch Cars with Eye-Tracking Technology that Could Stop Drunk Driving
- Reports and Studies: Certain Movie Techniques Synchronize Viewers’ Brain Activity, August-September 2014
- Spotlight On: Alfred Millstein
- From Other States: August-September, 2014
- New and Interesting in the Brief Bank: August-September, 2014
- Surveillance News: Fake Cell-Towers - August-September, 2014
- Local Success: Karl P. Numinen
- From Our Readers: What to do When the Department of Corrections Points out That Your Client Should be Serving a 25 Year Mandatory Minimum Sentence as a Fourth Habitual Offender? - June, 2014
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Failure to Advise of SORA Registration Requirement
- 10.07.2014 Video: CBS News: Eyewitness Te...
- 08.22.2014 Video: Bindovers, Appeals, and...
- 08.08.2014 Video: Smarter Sentencing: An ...
- 08.07.2014 Video: Michigan Felony Sentenc...
- 07.31.2014 Video: Master Class:Preserving...
- 11.06.2014 NACDL - 10th Annual White Coll...
- 11.06.2014 CDAM - Advanced Criminal Defen...
- 11.14.2014 CAP - Sentencing Law Update
- 11.18.2014 OCBA - Expert Witness Cross Ex...
- 11.20.2014 NACDL - 5th Annual Sex Crimes ...