Critical Session Scheduled for Defense Attorneys at Cooley Law School Campuses
The Thomas M. Cooley Law School and the Criminal Defense Resource Center of the State Appellate Defender Office presents a criminal justice training event for criminal defense attorneys, probation agents, prosecutors & judges. Use of COMPAS at Sentencing - What Every Defense Attorney Needs to Know is a a primer with an emphasis on the meaning of the COMPAS scores, reliability of the scores, limitations on their use and the constitutional and state-law objections to raise at sentencing hearings. COMPAS (Correctional Offender Management Profiling for Alternative Sanctions) is a computerized assessment and case management system created by the Northpointe Institute for Public Management. Michigan will begin using the risk Read more
SADO Partners with Attorney Discipline Agencies on Innovative Project
Support is on the way for criminal defense attorneys in Michigan who face discipline proceedings for conduct arising from a criminal case. Many attorneys handling these challenging cases are in solo practices, receiving modest pay as assigned counsel and lacking access to experienced colleagues. To address the need for resources and a support community, SADO will provide both training and access to online resources for criminal defense attorneys who are referred by either the Attorney Grievance Administrator (AGC) or Attorney Discipline Board (ADB) panels. The support will function much as other tools available within the disciplinary system, such as the Lawyers and Judges Assistance Program, which helps attorney with Read more
Next Sessions are March 26 in Lansing and March 27 in Detroit
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of a criminal appeal, visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate with an inmate housed in the MDOC, and will provide a list of basic resources for clients and their families. Read more
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Toggling Lower and Upper Case Text in MS Word
- Practice Note: New Apprendi Ruling on Fines Has Potential Michigan Application
- Public Defense Update: June, 2013
- Reports and Studies: False Memories Study - June, 2013
- DUI Defense: November, 2013 - If Breath Alcohol Can’t be Measured, It Doesn’t Exist
- Spotlight On: Robert S. Whims
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Failure to Advise of SORA Registration Requirement
- From Other States: From Other States - November, 2013
- Surveillance News: Surbeillance News - November, 2013
- From Our Readers: Presenting A “Statute Of Limitations” Defense - July, 2013
- Local Success: Grosse Pointe Woods Municipal Court
- 01.28.2014 Video: Pay Attention!
- 01.28.2014 Video: The Switcheroo
- 01.16.2014 Video: MAACS 2013 Fall Trainin...
- 01.08.2014 Video: Philip Zimbardo: The Ps...
- 01.08.2014 Video: The Stanford Prison Exp...
- 03.19.2014 NACDL - 3rd Annual White Colla...
- 04.10.2014 NACDL - 5th Annual Post-Convic...
- 05.02.2014 MCOLES - COMPAS at Sentencing ...
- 05.15.2014 NACDL - Making Sense of Scienc...
- 06.06.2014 SBM - 7th Criminal Law Section...