Four Dates Scheduled in 2015 for Detroit and Lansing
Join SADO for an Informational Session on what to expect after a loved one is convicted of a crime and sentenced to the Michigan Department of Corrections. SADO staff will be on hand to address the process of appealing a conviction and how an appeal is different from the trial or plea proceedings, and will inform attendees on the visiting policies of the MDOC, how to communicate and stay connected with your incarcerated loved ones, and more. Read more
2013 Outstanding Advocate Replaces Outgoing Deputy Jonathan Sacks
The State Appellate Defender Office (SADO) is pleased to announce the promotion of Michael L. Mittlestat to the position of Deputy Director. The position will become vacant at the end of January, 2015, when Jonathan Sacks assumes the leadership of the Michigan Indigent Defense Commission (MIDC), as its Executive Director. Mr. Sacks served for seven years as SADO’s Deputy, managing numerous innovative projects and a legal staff of approximately two dozen staff attorneys. The MIDC oversees Michigan’s county-funded system for delivery of trial-level criminal defense services.“Jonathan Sacks leaves a legacy of passion and excellence,” says SADO’s Director, Dawn Van Hoek. “We look forward to working with him as the IDC ta Read more
View Past Stories
- Technical Tips: Toggling Lower and Upper Case Text in MS Word
- Practice Note: Appealing the Denial of Remand - October, 2014
- DUI Defense: DUI Defense: Is Drinking After Driving a Viable Defense to DUI in Michigan? - November, 2014
- Public Defense Update: Citizens Alliance on Prisons and Public Spending (CAPPS) - November, 2014
- Reports and Studies: January, 2015
- Spotlight On: Laurel Kelly Young - January, 2015
- From Other States: December, 2014
- New and Interesting in the Brief Bank: January, 2015
- Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Circuit Court Opinion of the Month: Suppression of Evidence After OWI Stop - January, 2015
- Local Success: Melissa K. Wangler - January, 2015
- Surveillance News: Whisper Social Media App - November, 2014
- From Our Readers: What to do When the Department of Corrections Points out That Your Client Should be Serving a 25 Year Mandatory Minimum Sentence as a Fourth Habitual Offender? - June, 2014
- 02.03.2015 Video: Appellate Timeline Tr...
- 01.27.2015 Video: Catherine Crump: The ...
- 12.10.2014 Video: Interstate Compact an...
- 11.25.2014 Video: Michigan Legislative,...
- 11.25.2014 Video: Suppression Motions
- 03.12.2015 CDAM - 2015 Spring Conferenc...
- 03.12.2015 NACDL - 4th Annual White Col...
- 03.17.2015 OCBA - Know Your Judge: Dist...
- 04.16.2015 NACDL - 8th Annual Forensic ...
- 04.30.2015 ABA/NACDL - 6th Annual Post...