MAACS seeks summer interns/externs

Applications are due by 3/1/24 at 5 PM

The Michigan Appellate Assigned Counsel System (MAACS), a division of the State Appellate Defender Office (SADO), seeks first- and second-year law students for internship and externship opportunities during the summer of 2024.

MAACS is responsible for the recruitment, training, and oversight of private attorneys who accept court appointed appeals from the state’s circuit courts. MAACS roster attorneys handle 75% of all court appointed appeals pending in the Michigan appellate courts. SADO is the public defender office that represents clients in the remaining 25% of cases.

Working under the supervision of MAACS Deputy Administrator Patricia Maceroni, students will work with MAACS roster attorneys on all aspects of appellate representation. Work will include transcript review, investigation of client concerns, document collection, participation in client meetings, the drafting of pleadings. Students may also potentially appear in court, consistent with MCR 8.120. Start and end dates are flexible and will be determined by the school’s academic calendar and program. We are a hybrid office, and students will be expected to do some of their work in our Detroit office.

To apply, please submit a single PDF with a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample, to Ms. Maceroni at Please direct all questions to Ms. Maceroni.

The deadline for applications is March 1, 2024.